<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Blair and Nicole hurry around the house to finish the packing. The moving truck is coming in a few hours and everything needs to be ready to load.
"Blair, I hope Alex will be alright. Today is her first day back at work."
"Honey, I'm sure she'll be fine. Besides, once all this stuff is packed up, we can go to Garladine, drop some stuff from our car at our new house, then take her out to a nice dinner."
"That sounds like a great idea."
The two continue to pack the final things they will need right away when they get to the new house.

Alex walks into the building of the magazine. It seems like it has been months since she was last there. Looking around timidly, she is unsure about what she should do first. Out of the corner of her eye she sees a familiar face. Brayen is wandering around the workplace, but she knows what he is doing. It is his routine midmorning, "pretend to do something," 30-minute break. She walks towards him and joins him in the break room.
"Alex! I'm so glad you're back!"
"Brayen, it's weird to be back. It's like I haven't been here for months."
"Ah c'mon, it has only been 10 days since the incident during Busty Bouchet's performance at Waterstone."
"I know, but I've been sitting around for days, scared to go to any public place."
The two continue to talk for awhile. Finally Alex brings up the conversation she had with her mom in the hospital.
"Brayen, I'm getting older and I still have no family, like a husband and children of my own. I don't think I can hold out to find that special someone. I'm going to have to have a child soon. Nearly dying last the other week has changed my whole outlook on life."
Brayen is shocked at Alex's comment.
"So what are you going to do? Sperm bank? Adoption?"
Brayen notices Alex giving him a weird look.
"Well I was thinking maybe you could be the father. I want the child to be my flesh and blood and I don't want some random DNA. We've been friends for a long time and I think you would make a great father."
"Alex... I... don't..."
"You don't have to decide now, just think about it."

Alvin sits in Kathryn's office.
"My poor daughter-in-law. How am I ever going to find someone to replace her while she is recovering?"
He notices Alex walk in. She is looking timid, but it is understandable due to what she went through just a couple weeks ago at the club he owns. Alvin watches her as she converses with Brayen. He tells the secretary to ask Alex to come see him in Kathryn's office.
"Ms. Chase, it's a pleasure to see you again."
"Thank you Mr. Stone. I hope that Ms. Stone is doing much better."
"Yes, yes she is. Thank you. However, she will be in recovery for many weeks. During that time, I would like you to be the acting editor in chief."
Alex is speechless at the offer. She can't believe it, editor in chief.
"I... I don't know what to say."
"Now it's only for a few weeks until Kathryn can be back in the office, but I've seen you working and Kathryn recommended that you be the stand in while she is out. Now go back to work since I know you have a bit to catch up on being it is your first day back."
"Of course, Mr. Stone. Thank you so much."
Alvin watches Alex run back to Brayen. It is only now that he notices how attractive Brayen is. Alvin returns to the desk to place a call.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com