<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 08, 2004

Kathryn rides the elevator to the top floor of the building. It has been a long time since she has taken the ascent. She tries to remember the last time she was up here. Was it a month, two? The elevator dings and slows. Kathryn can hear her heart beating in her ears as the doors open.
"SURPRISE!"
Kathryn is startled at the office staff in party attire. In the middle of it all stands her husband and her father-in-law.
"Did you two do this?"
"I swear it was mostly his idea."
Jason points at his father.
"We're glad to have you back in the office, 'Ms. Owner.'"
"It's good to be back."

Denver wanders the mall in search of something.
What do I get a guy I slept with then haven't talked to for over a week?
He passes by a GAP and decides to check on the clothes they are offering. Denver quickly notices a young, cute blonde folding clothes with a head set on. Denver quickly picks up a piece in his reach with out looking and walks over to the young man.
"Do you think this looks good on me at all?"
The blonde begins to laugh. Denver looks at what he's holding up and notices it's a girls shirt.
"Are you planning on a sex change?"
His face changes from white to red quickly.
"Ha.. ha.. I just wanted to get your attention."
"Ahh, forward I see."
Denver continues to blush as he speaks.
"Well just a bit. You're cute though, how could I resist?"
"Hey my manager is coming back. I get off in about an hour. Can you wait around 'till then?"
"Sure.
"I'll meet you outside the food court. We can get some quick food there."
"Sounds good. My name is Denver by the way."
"Colby."

Alex panics at the sight of Kathryn.
This is it. I'm back to just plain writing again, just as I was getting used to this job. It's perfect.
She hears a knock on the door.
"Come in."
"Alex, can I talk to you for a bit?"
"Of course, Ms. Stone."
"Please, how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Kathryn."
"Of course, Ms... I mean Kathryn."
Alex's palms are sweaty. The last thing she wanted to do was go back to writing after having this job.
"My father-in-law and I have been discussing the business of this magazine lately. Well, he decided to give the ownership to me, so I would like to keep you as the editor."
"Are you serious?! I mean, thank you."
"Yes, you've done such a great job lately that I can't think of anyone better. Will you join us for dinner later?"
"Oh, I can't tonight. I'm going to a friends birthday get-together at the..."
Alex silences herself as she remembers what happened there.
"Alex, it's okay. I've gotten over my fear of that place. In fact that is where we are heading tonight to see the grand opening.. again. I hear the woman my father-in-law sold the club to added a restaurant extension. So maybe we will see you there and you can join us for just a short while."
"I would love to."

"Hawke, do you have the surprise guests lined up?"
"Haha, you bet I do Skyler."
"Do any of them know about each other?"
"Not at all."
Hawke grins widely.
"Brayen will never expect to see Denver and Alex there together. But wait 'till he sees the last person."
"Hawke you're a genius. So Brayen just thinks it's him, you, me, and Braxton, right?"
"Yup, just a little foursome."
Hawke laughs at his joke.
"To a special surprise."
The two touch martini glasses with a cling, then take a sip.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com